Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Good Girlfriends Give Star Wars Books to their Geeky Guy

The other day I was at one of my day jobs (working at a lighting store, once a week) and a co-worker came back from her lunch break with a $1 book that she grabbed at the bank. I don't know about other banks, but it seems every bank in Guelph occasionally has a book sale fundraiser. Employees bring in old books that they don't want, and for a donation to can walk away with something new to add to your collection. Jim and I are frugal people, and cheap books is one of my guilty pleasures. I went over to check it out and had to talk myself out of some Sweet Valley High box sets (don't judge me). There wasn't much awesomeness on display, but I did come across some Star Wars novels. Jim loves Star Wars far more than I do, it's probably his first love so I put $1.50 into the donation box and brought home "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" and the first book of "X-Wing Rogue Squadron".


I surprised Jim with the books while he was taking a gaming time-out to pour some drinks in the kitchen with friends. He was so delighted- yes... *delighted* to have Star Wars reading material that he hadn't read yet and I loved witnessing that delight attack his entire person. It's nice to do nice things for the person that you love. There are some life lessons that I'd like you to take away from this tale...

1) Support the nerdy passions of your loved ones! If your significant other loves something, it doesn't mean that you need to love it too, but you do need to appreciate how much they love it and learn to find your own joy in witnessing them geek out over it.

2) Gestures of love don't have to destroy your pocketbook! My one dollar and fifty cents paid for hours of Force and Jedi filled happiness. Things don't have to be expensive to be meaningful and loved.

Geek Out and Geek On!
*Maria @ Nerdifacts

No comments:

Post a Comment